1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the "free" market

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Earth, Mar 22, 2020.

?

A permanent owl of minerva would

1. improve my gameplay

2. ruin my gameplay

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tect

Tect Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    DTect
    Level:
    Guild:
    Manon
    one-time purchase of how much tho... ~f12

2. Spoooxer

Spoooxer Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Spoooxer
    Level:
    Thing is i dont really see why noobs needs to trade in the first place, the barriers of entry on this server is super low. You shouldnt enter a market trading items you have no idea of without consulting a friend in the first place, when people are experienced enough to bother the fm they should alreday be in a guild by then and if u get scemmed earlier on its not such a big deal

3. wind99121

wind99121 Donator

4. swt1997

swt1997 Active Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    BonneyGem
    Level:
    My opinion about this, because yeah I feel too it's REALLY HARD to sell your items, is that this server is too big for the current system to work.

If I right now get a good item from gacha or a drop and want to set up a shop to sell it, the only available space will somewhere in ch 2 where no one goes. So for me to actually sell it I will have to buy an owl, check the current market prices and put it at the lowest price posible cause that's the only way to sell something if you don't have a shop in FM ch 1.

One con about putting an action house system is that prices on some items will go to the floor. This happens A LOT in WoW when a new expansion comes. Because people want to sell their herbs or minerals fast, they check the cheapest price that item is being sold at and then sell it for -1 gold. 20 people doing this make the items go down on it's real price by 20 in 3 days until the supply is gone.

5. Rhynhardt

Rhynhardt Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Rhynhardt
    Level:
    I'd be pretty open to the idea of having Owl's that act like the fast pass tickets. Pay 25-30m for an owl to last for 3 days.

idozai, wind99121 and DeJia like this.
  6. Earth

Earth Well-Known Member

This does solve the problem, but only for those who already have plenty of funds.
    Newcomers will still have issues price checking and selling items.

Most of us aren't new players, we've been playing Royals for some time. We're not gonna feel 3M for an owl (or 25-30m as suggested above).
    But as a new player, even at a higher level (70+) you will feel that 3M.

Raising the tax is a simple solution because everyone uses owls and everyone sells stuff on the FM.
    So everyone will contribute to the free owls, but also benefit from it.

7. Earth

Earth Well-Known Member

Some people ask/comment about auction houses or stuff I never suggested or even mentioned.
    Could ya'll please read carefully before commenting or questioning certain things.

I mean you don't even have to read the whole thing if you cba, the poll is pretty clear.

8. AhLiGaddo

AhLiGaddo Well-Known Member

No. I like to rip off from noobs.

Becca, Ayer, Civil and 3 others like this.
  9. Earth

Earth Well-Known Member

Glad someone posted this.
    Polls are not the best way to make decisions.
    This is a reason why I did not post a poll at first. People should write down their reasons.

There are more (good) reasons why we should have this than why not.
    Or atleast I can't think of any and neither have I seen any posted so far.

Merching can be fun for some but it really is sort of unfair. You are taking advantage (anyone would, I do too) of those who don't know the price and put it below the value. (talking about fm, if you do this in a trade you're really just scamming.)

I can assure you, even with permanent owls, there will still be people undercutting way below value, you could make profit by reselling. Not to mention some people won't even bother owling the item before selling it.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    DeJia and Hamburg like this.
  10. iEatEmoKids

iEatEmoKids Donator

Country Flag:
    But there is also a good reason why so many people are clinging onto private servers of this sort--not just MS, but RS, RO, FlyFF, and many more. Despite the fact that this relic of a system may be stressful, time consuming, and ultimately inferior in its design, it still brings people enjoyment.

Not that I inherently disagree with your suggestion, but there is worthwhile merit even to a process that is not fully optimized.

11. Spoooxer

Spoooxer Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Spoooxer
    Level:
    There is mutual benefits for both parties. With your arguments banks is not beneficial for society and necessary. There are some scammers yes but overall most merchants in the game was decent back when i played

12. Earth

Earth Well-Known Member

you wot m8

13. Spoooxer

Spoooxer Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Spoooxer
    Level:
    There are players who value cash at the spot higher than in couple of days once they make decisions to sell. The merch decides to use his spare money to just hold the item for the period of time and is getting value out of it.
    Why is that called taking advantage in a bad way? The merch spend times in knowing prices in his targeted market while the seller is using his time elsewhere

14. Rhynhardt

Rhynhardt Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Rhynhardt
    Level:
    The game has been out for almost 20 years, people who play this server are actively looking for a specific environment to replicate and has a basic understanding of what items are useful. Most of my price checking was googling "Mapleroyals, ITEM" and it gave me results that go back as far as 3 years. You also need to buy a shop which makes the idea of people just sitting in fm1 chan1 spamming "S>BWG 15m!!!" a 1 and a million chance.

Looking for what exactly? We have an entire forum dedicated to PCing, guides on how to make quick meso from scratch for literally every class. The level of stupid your'e prescribing to this example character wouldn't know owl's exist let alone how to use them.

Because owls are so affordable and a quick luxury FM spots aren't as important for anything more than advertising. I have never gotten an FM 3+ or above spot but sell my items just as normal.

Everyone and their mother opts for the bathrobe for the 10+ speed increase, every class benefits. A better example would be INT shoes, attack wg's, or in my experience neos varieties. Of course you would look for the more common and go down, even in your worst case scenario, it's 15 million, which wouldn't even cover anything greater than a 10 dex robe. At that stage of the game you would have enough meso to afford that sink to begin with, otherwise you wouldn't be looking.

Yeah and at that point your mass buying it.

Risk that comes with convenience. I could make just as many arguments about making smega's free, these are the most commonly used NX items that the staff decided to give a meso sink for precisely that reason, they are used a lot and are powerful tools. Your argument is half "Think of the children!!" and "Not everyone can use it optimally all the time!".

--
    Okay but this isn't a modern day game, its intentionally time locked in a specific frame of history. There are plenty of other things this game could update outside making owls, the only NX item mind you, free in the game.

That is just an unreasonable compromise, trades happen daily, thousands of times a day, how many owls do you think there are bought? Probably not even at half the rate. Most SMEGA selling/buying is advertising for bids for people who are not active in the FM. It literally wouldn't change anything and create a much more extreme meso sink. You didn't really think the compromise through tbh.

Lmao, what? Most people do Market trade not because it's affordable but because it's an AFK function. Shop sits there, hopefully things sell, I can still play the game as that occurs. I'm really curious how this works out in your world; I want to sell a brown work glove, do I advertise in the FM ch 1? Do I put it in a shop? Do I wait for someone to pass by suggesting they want it? I ask because apparently Smega's apparently won't happen anymore, people can use owl to search for what they want, but you want to remove the trading fee so they have to find it in a shop then ask you to trade it in person?

The only reason I'm supportive to the "mega owl" where it lasts a few days is so I don't have to keep buying them and can just have one in bulk. It would also help players with gacha runs as it gives a few days for them to set their stuff up, rather than tediously buying 60 owls, which I feel is an extreme example of where a meso sink becomes to costly.

15. Earth

Earth Well-Known Member

So we should use google, outdated posts or write our own guides and whatnot for something that can be solved with an item such as owl of minerva?

Also not very true, with custom features like +10 stats on items and whatnot.
    Items could have a different value than they had on original Maplestory. Also as a new player you don't have acces to available items on the server that could deem other items outdated or useless.

Same reply as above.

I'm talking about fights for spots, not everyone having the time or chance to get a good spot. A good spot does increase succes rate of selling it.

Doesn't change the fact you DO have many options, maybe there is a cheap scrolled robe you actually CAN afford. Whether it be bathrobe or sauna robe or just a warrior robe.
    You will end up either paying more for the owls or end up scrolling and clicking thro fm all day. (and end up not finding it)

This even an argument?
    Plenty of times you only need one or a few of a certain items that are cheaper than the owl itself.

We don't need 20 sources of mesos sink if you know how to sink it properly.

I don't even know what you mean with the only NX item. We must be playing on a different server.
    So there is room for other custom stuff like class changes, or other updates which you may or may not have in mind, but browsing the FM easier should not be one of them?
    Okay. o_O

I have to admit you're right on this one! I did not hack into the server database to collect data on how many owls were being purchased on a daily basis to calculate the 6% tax. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I wrote that solely to point towards the solution.

Hard to use imagination, aye?

You can decide whether you wanna put it in your store and sell it without effort or sell it directly to someone you know. You could smega/announce in FM a few times for a lower price to sell it even faster, the benefit would be the reduced trading fee.
    Most of the time people won't even bother whispering the shop owner to avoid taxes. It also doesn't mean they're always online. Not to mention a lot of people put up stores on their mules.

16. Rhynhardt

Rhynhardt Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Rhynhardt
    Level:
    There is no other custom feature besides the godly system which is something a lot of private servers use in general. It also has very minimum impact on your argument. Even private servers with free owls still have guides because most people do not want to do the research. How did you survive as a new player?

-Higher drop rate means that 60% scrolls are worth less, especially at high volume maps
    -Onyx apples, chaos scrolls, white scrolls are always the setting conditions on how high the meso rate is, take into consideration the 3x amount. Same with zakum services.

These are very basic things that every player will know. The accommodation of making owls available for players who are so new to the game they don't know these things, most likely won't know what owls are, free or not. Thus your point regarding new players is kind of moot. In fact joining a server you're going to assume that NX is going to have some sort of cost basis/value. Lastly if the material is already there, why act like it's not? Why do you think owls being free would be such a dramatic change that guides, and forums won't be utilized?

I'm telling you it doesn't. Most people visit fm18, Fm7, and fm 1-3, if they don't find their item they owl. Considering those FM's typically sell prescrolled gear or a limited amount of scrolls you desire, you will be using the owl. If I can comfortably sell junk gachapon scrolls in 3 different spots that are fm15+ in a few days, then anyone can sell anything honestly.

Considering that bathrobes actually give stats that are relevant to every class while literally every other robe doesnt, some of your examples including having a class lock, I would argue that unless its perfectly scrolled or 35+ it doesn't exist/isn't worth it. If a player is aware of the benefits of robes, you are conceding that either the player is using a guide or has experience. Which then makes your point moot because they could just scroll their own 10 dex <1m, which most people do anyway. And if they're a new player that's all they're going to afford since a 12+dex is going to run like 20+m, which any experienced player would know is not worth it.

If you're using an owl to buy items that are cheaper than the owl, you're most likely buying potions(attack, elixer) or scrolls. Those type of items are bought in bulk, And what a coincidence, I wanted to say that about this entire thread lmao.

You do realize that owls, teleport rocks, and smegas are like the prime example of what a meso sink should be right? A commonly used item that adds quality of life changes. You want to raise tax, and well, the fact you think that every trade in the game is an equal/fair compromise to losing 3m on an item that is bought significantly less, really shows your out of your element here.

You're suggesting that owls should be made free. What other nx item in the game is free?

Maybe they do and maybe that's why the justified the price in comparison to the tax.

I'm literally using your own arguments against you and what you just showed me is nothing would change if owls were free.

-Smega advertising spam would still be around
    -People will still utilize shops

You're essentially saying a trade fee is to benefit people who short sell to benefit the community growing together? I may like imagination but your arguments are so shallow that all I need is realism to see through this crap lmao

17. Earth

Earth Well-Known Member

Not worth arguing, really.

You're right, every other game with an auction house has made a terrible decision and should've put a Free Market like in Maple where you can break your pointing finger before you bore yourself to death browsing stores.

I guess we can close the thread now.

18. Rhynhardt

Rhynhardt Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Rhynhardt
    Level:
    You just said an auction house is not a viable solution since it would require coding. Making owl of minerva free does not solve the issues you have brought up, full stop.

19. Earth

Earth Well-Known Member

Free owl of minerva would near the purpose of an auction house without requiring heavy client modifications. How difficult can it be to make the link?

20. Rhynhardt

Rhynhardt Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Rhynhardt
    Level:
    As difficult as you reading my posts and me clearly showing you that it actually make no changes at all. Your increased tax rate would just inflate the value of meso, and cause more of a burden on sellers since it's taken out of their inventory directly with B coins.

Free owls don't:

• Remove the needs for guides, even for price checking. People will document this information no matter what for convinience
    • Remove/change smega advertising, you admitted it yourself, short sale example
    • Keep noobs from being scammed, players you are using as examples would not know what an owl of minerva does. It would just verify information/short sales which, if they are short selling they know it anyway.
    • Make forums unused, as most big ticket items such as 8+ attack FS/PGC will be auctioned off, along with smegas.
    All it does is save you 3 mil, where you'll pay hundreds of times that just by trading someone one big item.

Hamburg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.