1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rewards for Reporting Hackers/RWTers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrownKobe, Aug 14, 2019.

?

Should there be a reward system for reporting hackers/RWTers?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    26.8%
  2. No

35 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. Yes, but include more reports (not just hackers/RWTers)

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. BrownKobe

BrownKobe Member

IGN:
    BrownKobe
    Throughout playing almost a year, it's clear there's always going to be hackers/RWTers. I think implementing a system that rewards players who make quality reports could help with reducing the number of hackers/RWTers and help the staff save time.

Reports use the following link as a guide to give a quality report and only successful ones approved by the staff grant you a reward.
    https://mapleroyals.com/forum/threads/how-to-capture-evidence-for-reports.95543/

1. You get a single reward per report. It could be the same reward every time such as a certain amount of gacha tickets or it can be from a list of possible rewards. For example, the prize pool could contain gacha tickets, nx cards or limited time buffs (1.2x rate).
    2. You gain a certain amount of "points" for each report in which you can redeem for prizes. So let's say every successful report you get 1 point. The prize pool has a list of rewards all costing different points. For example, for 5 points you can redeem for some gach tickets, 10 points you get an nx card, 20 points you get a buff rate.
    I'm not sure what would be a reasonable reward or what would be in the reward pool/list. I think it also makes more sense if a hacker report and RWT report are worth the same amount.

• Wouldn't have to rely on just a few people reporting (few players and staff), incentive for everyone to look/report
    • When players see something they can report it instead of doing nothing
    • There could be a mass drop in the amount of hackers/RWTers and would discourage people from continuing or trying to break the rules
    • Possibly hackers/RWTers would actually stop before it's even implemented
    • Eventually there would be a much lower amount of them, therefore less work for the staff
    • Would open more maps the hackers constantly kill in
    • The economy would be more stable (certain items won't be cheaper because hackers farm them but low-key could put this under cons lol)
    • Could encourage more people to join the server

• Those who have always been reporting or reported in the past don't get compensated, but if the reports still exist the staff can go back and properly reward them
    • People might argue who reported this person first or maybe someone else has a better report and the staff have to decide what to do
    • Even though it would save the staff time not having to gather evidence themselves, it would take time to process the reports and properly reward/ban people
    • I'm sure there might be some people who find a way to abuse the system such as false/fake reports, they somehow simulate they reported a hacker, etc.
    • It's just a rough idea and would most likely take months to develop

I limited this idea to just hackers and RWTers because I feel like they are easier to capture evidence for (mainly hacking) and they both result in a permanent ban. I guess you could open this up to all reports but that makes things a lot more complicated. You could consider adding things that result in permanent bans such as major account sharing but I wouldn't extend it to minor things like harassment or soliciting because those aren't immediate permanent bans and can be subjective. In my opinion, hacking and RWTing generally might be the worst offenses in the game and most have the proper ability (recording tools) to report them.

Initially I think a lot of work would have to be put in to create this, then it would be more work processing all the reports, banning people and rewarding. If it is successful, there would be less reports and less banning in in the long run. There wouldn't be highs and lows of the amount like others have experienced, it would always stay at a consistent low amount which I think saves the most time/effort in the end.

This idea is pretty centered around recording hackers but I'm interested in what others have to say. Is it a good/bad idea, possible improvements, feedback, all of your thoughts are welcome.

Edited formatting.

Seems like most would rather not have in-game rewards but rather rewards that don't improve gameplay (untradeable cosmetics/titles) which probably makes the most sense regardless of how small the in-game reward would be.

There would also be abuse on both sides, hackers making multiple accounts to report themselves but also players making poor quality reports or reporting innocent people.

Maybe there could be a special sign-up form for those who want to be rewarded for reporting. It would go through all the rules and specify exactly how to report and what you can report. It would outline the strict rules to prevent people from sending in poor quality reports or abusing the system. This would only be optional, everyone can still report but only those that sign-up could receive some type of reward.

Many agree that a lot of backlash can come from this system (abuse/toxicity/poor reporting). I would argue though that if the idea was strict on how to properly make a report and the reward system was made in a way to prevent players/hackers from abuse there wouldn't be so much backlash. The strictness would eliminate players for reporting petty things as they would receive nothing from it possibly even consequences if they continue to falsely report and have been told no to do so. Having a point system can reduce abuse. Say you need 10 successful reports, hackers may not be willing to make 10 different accounts to receive a small non-advantageous reward. Only those that are persistent with quality reporting would get something in return.

Great feedback and perspectives.

Edit: The point of this thread is to come up with ideas to reduce rule breakers in general. Obviously this idea is far from perfect. Instead of just relying on the staff to deal with all the banning/reports I wanted to suggest an idea to involve the community and give credit to those who are going out of there way to make reports. It would be nice if we can reduce the work load for the staff and make the game better for everyone. I'm sure there are much better ideas to accomplish this, I just wanted to introduce one and see what other's have come up with.

I thought having some type of reward for quality reports would encourage players to responsibly follow guides on reporting and respect the staff as they would have to do a majority of the work. I'm now aware this idea is capable of being abused by players or hackers which I didn't think of when writing it. Those that replied have given very reasonable perspectives/feedback.

I'd love to hear other alternatives such as the auto ban system.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  2. nosebleed

nosebleed Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    inb4 hackers start making multiple accounts and reporting themselves hacking to reap the report rewards on their 'main' account

(kidding)

MrMarist, GodlyBread, Eli and 5 others like this.
  3. sparky95

sparky95 Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Shakiras
    Level:
    Guild:
    NewPlanet
    If the rewards are small enough, it may not be worth making the effort to spoof and create multiple accounts for the abusive intention.

BrownKobe likes this.
  4. Inusama

Inusama Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Inusama
    Level:
    Guild:
    Behemoth
    I've always wanted some kind of 'Bot/Hacker Hunter' medal of some kind of successful reports... But it'd probably be yet another hassle for GMs to both implement it and reward it to players.

5. BrownKobe

BrownKobe Member

IGN:
    BrownKobe
    Abuse of the system would definitely be a major issue. I think the idea sparky said could lower the number of abusers. Maybe if either it's a small award each time or you have to have x amount of reports to earn something. Say it's 10 successful reports to earn a small reward, I'm sure someone is willing to make 10 different accounts and report them but it would be a low number and the reward is small enough it wouldn't give them a huge advantage. It would also be pretty suspicious if someone is consistently finding a high number of hackers to report but people are willing to make 100s of accounts if they have nothing else to do.

I thought I would post this idea to reward the people that go out of their way to report abusers. It would be nice if they received some reward or recognition for their efforts. I've never been the person to make reports so those that do deserve credit.

6. Noctiluca

Noctiluca Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    kuroboshi
    Level:
    3cm
    Guild:
    TEaBaG
    LF>Legendary hacker reporter Medal

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  7. JoTheWeirdo

JoTheWeirdo Active Member

Country Flag:
    Having a game without hackers and knowing they got banned is a reward in itself.

8. Jooon

Jooon Donator

IGN:
    Jooon
    Level:
    Guild:
    Rogue
    I think the point system might be useful. By obtaining these points, player can obtain certain cosmectics that in noway it improves gameplay.

Rewards such as
    -New NX Equips only obtainable by making an official report
    -Special Forum Name Colors or title.

This will push player to whenever they stumble upon a hacker.

A GM or Admin can make a Guide ,
    Step By Step the correct procedure on how to probably report a Abuser, How to properly redeem from that unique untradable NX Shop.
    (Similar to RP)
    Collect it from the in Game GM NPC

This would really promote players all around royals to do the right thing and Report it the right way.

BrownKobe likes this.
  9. mungski

mungski Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    ioopy
    Guild:
    Fendi
    Is this Maplestory or police-simulator?

Reports are necessary don't get me wrong but the rewards should not give in-game benefits. This would easily open the door to abuse and/or people witch-hunting potentially innocent players and creating a toxic environment. My rl friends who get into this game have all said this game feels like north korea shit because not only are the rules unforgiving (which is fair but not common in a private server) but many members in the community are soo uptight with "yOu JuSt BrOkE a RUl3 I rePort" and it's a huge turn off.

Further, it's not as if there aren't a lot of reports already... reports are already backlogged. More reports for sake of in game rewards => less quality reports => GMs will waste more time

I think there are a lot of people on this server who go out of their way to make QUALITY reports and they should be rewarded and recognized but maybe it would be more appropriate for it to be forum badge or something. Making this an "in-game" content is absurd

MoriForest, ginwolf, taenyfan and 5 others like this.
  10. sparky95

sparky95 Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Shakiras
    Level:
    Guild:
    NewPlanet
    Chances of Witch-hunting is very shallow. Some people, based on the protests from ban appeals, believe that many bans are issued solely on suspicion from individual's reports but that's not true. GMs don't react to our reports unless they have enough evidence to say there's 99% certainty. Many saw this with cases like Crowley where things were so obvious yet it took forever before staff had concrete evidence in hand (There are exceptions but this applies in 99% cases). I still have few reports open from months back on obvious suspects but they still haven't been banned because the staff is only ~98% confident.

Abusing such system, as stated before, is not as easy as one may imagine. Some consistent hackers/RWTers may make it seem easy but if you actually learn the mechanism, it's a tedious process to make so many unrelated accounts just for the self-report purpose. They'd rather use those new accounts to hack and earn more in-game income/time. I don't think a sane person would hack for the benefit of tiny rewards for their mains when their entire career would be placed under the risk of a permanent ban. One would gain more profit if they invested equal time on grinding or leeching because it takes quite an effort to file a legitimate report.

BrownKobe likes this.
  11. Exenet

Exenet Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Dayservant
    I appreciate many of the players who take the time to report hackers and abusers, but I completely understand if many find it too inconvenient or troublesome. I still appreciate the ones who report them via shoutbox/discord, even though I don't recommend it since hackers themselves can see and mess around or possibly get away. And sometimes they get buried and unseen.

As someone who has been actively searching for hackers for the past 2 months, I don't encourage people to go out and do the same. As much as that can help, I think what should be implemented is a more convenient way for players who do encounter them to report. I suggest bringing back the in-game ~gm command and alert gm, so that players can easily report on the spot more discretely. This way, I'm sure more players would be encouraged to report.

MoriForest, ginwolf, Hampa and 4 others like this.
  12. BrownKobe

BrownKobe Member

IGN:
    BrownKobe
    I'd argue that although the rules can be strict, if you play the game you agree to the terms and conditions. It's really the players' fault for not reading them if they break the rules and many of the rules are reasonable. Playing the game fairly is not that hard.

I do agree there are players who will run around reporting others' for petty or non-bannable things which can create a bad environment.

ginwolf likes this.
  13. mungski

mungski Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    ioopy
    Guild:
    Fendi
    Those are valid points but my main argument still stands... it will increase volume of reports if there is any form of ingame incentive. Good AND bad reports will flow in and who will get to all those reports when it is already slow now?

I agree that there should be a better protocol for reporting. I am way too lazy to be cropping pics and opening up a recording program to take videos when I am just trying to play the game

Hampa, BrownKobe and violaceopes like this.
  14. sids

sids Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    sids
    if you cant beat em join em

ginwolf, taenyfan and bhezy like this.
  15. mungski

mungski Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    ioopy
    Guild:
    Fendi
    I’d farm reports off this guy all day wheres my special NX cosmetic

16. sparky95

sparky95 Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Shakiras
    Level:
    Guild:
    NewPlanet
    The volume of reports shouldn't have a drastic change once a general consensus is spread, that one cannot reap anything if their report format/quality is bad. This change won't suddenly get everyone to rise from their butt-glued FM or Hen afk spots and go on an Odyssey to catch all the cheaters. I believe OP's intention is to only provide an incentive to those who are willing to make the effort to keep the server clean. Bad reports can be simply rejected with "Thanks for your report but it lacks concrete evidence to prove the offence of the individual" which will naturally reduce its quantity, if not done already.

This is surely the easier and better way for people to contact staff upon witnessing a cheater but I'm afraid this will result in more "bad" reports because there's no specific format in ~GM command. It just gives a blank space to fill which will be delivered to available GMs. The issue with this is that there's no room to provide "evidence" but only worded reports. We'll be expecting messages like

"Hey GM, I see a hacker plz TP to me NOW"
    what if no GM is online?

"GM, IGN:~~~~ must have RWTed. He's bloody rich"
    okay.. but staff can't just ban someone because you think he RWTed

"GM, IGN:~~~~ is ban evading. He said so"
    A report with a screenshot would be nice...

There may be sensible notes alerting live hackers but the 2nd issue is the absence of available staff online. Forum official reports can be viewed and accessed easily even at a later time but an in-game stack of GM-messages will be harder to process if staff were vacant at the time of the report. Encouraging more people to file legitimate reports on forum appeals more efficient until a fully functional auto-ban is implemented.

BrownKobe likes this.
  17. Exenet

Exenet Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Dayservant
    The first scenario isn't a problem because if they implemented this function, the line sent would be logged and can be reviewed at a later time.

The second and third scenario are more difficult in general. Its difficult to come up with evidence on rwters unless you're a staff member. So most reports like that end up just being summed up into saying "I think" or "I'm sure" they rwted, unless in rare cases the evidence blatantly exists and shown. However, if they do implement ~gm again, it would make sense for the pop-up to show a disclaimer saying certain things are better off making a detailed report instead.

18. sparky95

sparky95 Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Shakiras
    Level:
    Guild:
    NewPlanet
    That is the point where the majority of ppl will go "Nah screw this, I ain't got time for this". This thread is about motivating ppl at that point to make detailed reports instead of abandoning the case.

zoeng and BrownKobe like this.
  19. yuval6161

yuval6161 Well-Known Member

IGN:
    IronYunyun
    Level:
    Guild:
    Ironman
    You know, my first reaction was "dafuq? Hell nah" when i saw the title.
    But i gave it some thought, as long as the reward is not too distruptive to gameplay, it might actually make more players consider reporting.
    But, tbh, im unsure if more ban reports would help when the GMs are understaffed to handle the amount of reports as is.

Lets say, the reward can be 250 nx and a "congratulations from a GM" pot, and would be rewarded through the wizet GM npc. Then hunting hackers won't be very different from hunting area bosses for nx, people can cc around less popular maps, and clear hackers.

As for situations for who reported first, reward secondary reporters with 100 nx and the gm's congrats. And first report would be the first report that is accepted as evidence by a gm.
    Its a small enough reward to not be worth to abuse, and it would be really easy to spot when someone abuses it as its all recorded in front of the GMs.

But this entire suggestion relies on if rewarding characters through the npc is easy enough, or just too much hassle for the gms.

Not sure about rwter reports as these are not always a clear cut sort of crime like hacking, which is obvious and practically unappealable.

Jooon likes this.