1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New players: before investing any time... READ THIS

Discussion in 'Off Topic / Spam / Test' started by Tentomon, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Tentomon

Tentomon Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CaptainHeidi
    Level:
    Shiyui, ginwolf and Tect like this.
  2. wixobigil123

wixobigil123 Member

can i share my account with the hacker who sold it to me?

3. MethCoffee

MethCoffee Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Realtor
    Not all players are on the forum. I want to suggest somehow making the rules even more visible within the game.

The scrolling rules on First-Login is too hard to read in my opinion. I think if each rule was on a separate page instead of scrolling, with bolded headline that can be self-explained, it would be much clearer.

I only know of the account sharing rule because I read the ban appeals.

4. Shiyui

Shiyui Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Shiyui
    Level:
    Guild:
    Fryslan
    Tfw you tell players to read the rules, you write the rules in the RoyalsTips in the game, you put a condensed version of the rules upon sign up for each account you make... And people still don't read the rules.

I don't see why people want staff to take even more time and effort to pander to the players who are too lazy to just... read the rules. What next? A pop up ad while gaming with a random quiz question about the rules that you have to answer correctly to continue playing? I mean come on.

I find the rules list upon new account log in very well designed. You can't even get it to go away unless you scroll it all the way to the bottom. It's a readable length and it requires player interaction to even exit out of. If people refuse to read something so accessible, visible, and reasonably condensed, then it's no one else's fault but theirs if they apparently can't be bothered to read it.

Tentomon likes this.
  5. MethCoffee

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Realtor
    I really can't disagree with you, but it's pretty evident a lot of the users don't read the rules. Doesn't that warrant a change? Nobody should have to be banned for ignorance.

6. Dave Deviluke

Dave Deviluke Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Islander
    Level:
    Guild:
    Shroomies
    It's the player choice to ignore the rules when being presented twice, and also the Admin's choice to ban those who ignored the rules

Shiyui likes this.
  7. Dave Deviluke

Dave Deviluke Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Islander
    Level:
    Guild:
    Shroomies
    Make the all job advancements into a quiz that requires answering T&C correctly

Single wrong = no job advancement lol

8. Tect

Tect Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    DTect
    Level:
    Guild:
    Manon
    Are you implying that hackers should be given a second chance for not reading the rules? :)

9. Dave Deviluke

Dave Deviluke Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Islander
    Level:
    Guild:
    Shroomies
    Could you make a template of how it would look like (layout) as demo?

10. Venin

Venin Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I think a lot of players who claim they aren't aware of the rules in fact do know the rules.

I also think that many players who were banned for not knowing what the rules are are thinking adults who, by simple logic, should know that their seemingly harmless actions are illegal or shady in a way.

Most common bans from my observation are vote abuse, hacking, harassment, real world trading and/or joking about the above mentioned. A user of mapleroyals surely has a brain with the capability to differentiate right from wrong or risky from safe without any knowledge or information from the forums.

I'm so damn sure lots of year long players here did not bother reading the rules when they first started but they respected the server and thus did not get involved in anything that could get them into trouble. What's so hard about that?

Inject the rules and ToS into the game in any way possible and I still doubt the ban rates would see a noticeable difference. It's also worth mentioning that someone suggested to have a QnA quest in Maple Island that drills new users to some rules in the game but the idea wasn't implemented just because of everything I mentioned before this paragraph.

Tect, ginwolf, Tentomon and 2 others like this.
  11. Shnang

Shnang Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Acoustics
    Level:
    Guild:
    Home
    Nuff said. They just don't think they'll get caught.

ginwolf and Venin like this.
  12. MethCoffee

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Realtor
    There's been many cases where users had edited wz. files from other servers, got banned, then unbanned after an appeal. Hackers out of ignorance already have been given a second chance.

https://mapleroyals.com/forum/threads/ban-appeal.51321/

Blatant hackers know they're cheating the system. That's OBVIOUS from any other previous games/servers. Other rules, such as account sharing is not as well known/obvious. Stop using straw man arguments, or don't participate at all.

Even Tim has been banned before? @Shiyui why didn't he read over the rules? TFW there's so much hypocrisy. I doubt Tim was lazy, it was just ignorance. It HAPPENS sometimes.
    https://mapleroyals.com/forum/threads/accidental-breach-of-rule-19.7754/

I think maybe on Maple Island, the server rule questionnaire could be added? I think this is a great idea.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  13. MethCoffee

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Realtor
    Why is it different and why didn't he just read the rules? I mean, @Shiyui has been regurgitating "shoulda read the rules" a million times. It's no different in that they're both bannable offenses, and committed out of ignorance in these cases. They were both "accidents".

But as I don't have a stake or power to change anything here, I'll leave this be. In the end, I hope something changes so new users are more aware of the not-so-obvious rules, such as account sharing. MapleRoyals is a great server and it's sad to see these kinds of perma-bans for honest players.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  14. Tentomon

Tentomon Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CaptainHeidi
    Level:
    It doesn't say he didn't read the rules, it sounds like the glitch happened, and him and his party figured they may as well finish the boss anyway as it seemed minor. What else were they really supposed to do, try and contact a gm and just find that one wasn't online/ didn't respond to them (although ironically, there actually was one) and then have to consider abandoning the boss they were already half way through, due to a glitch that was no fault of their own? The advantage gained here was minor, a few less potions used in a one-off battle against a boss that they could have otherwise defeated without much trouble.

It also doesn't say whether or not he had to wait out his ban. This would have been at most a 2 week ban for glitch abuse. And then we need to consider that most glitch abuse is more serious (e.g. the mesos explosion bug that people were abusing repeatedly). @Tim I'm curious, what was the result of that ban appeal if you're willing to tell us?

I'm not certain on many details, but I very vaguely remember pap becoming very passive when I fought it on my sair (probably while I was still 3rd job?) in a party several years ago. I actually assumed it was unable to summon most of its skills due to the constant KB from all the attacks we were firing at it. Whether or not I cast octopi, I cannot remember. Now when I think back on that, I actually wonder if a skill one of us was using had glitched it. I'm quite surprised Tim and his party even managed to pinpoint the cause as being octopi. I'm gonna cry if they ban me for pointing this out though.

15. Tim

Tim Administrator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Kaizoku
    Level:
    Guild:
    Fryslan
    I did read the rules, I don't understand how you gather from my ban appeal that I didn't read the rules, I even pointed out the rule # of that time. I didn't intend to break the rules though, we just wanted to make a complete bug report.

Me and my boss partner were banned for 7 days at the time for glitch abuse. We did have to sit the whole 7 days out to be fair towards all other minor glitch abusers at the time. In my partners' ban appeal he explains that we were gathering information on how this glitch was done to make a detailed report about it which is one of the reasons we continued. (We wanted to see if the same thing happened to the second form of Pap for example.)

All in all it didn't affect us in a negative way as our game knowledge then and later on became apparent to the staff and my partner became a GM after applying while I became a test server player to make Horntail work for various computers / setups for example.

16. Becca

Becca GM Intern

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Becca
    Level:
    xx
    Guild:
    Staff
    Hmm.gif

Tect, Tentomon and Shiyui like this.
  17. Shiyui

Shiyui Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Shiyui
    Level:
    Guild:
    Fryslan
    The problem is that many of us just look up a guide for quiz answers, ctrl + F a key word, see the answer, click on it and go on to the next. Or just guess, get it wrong, retry. At least in my experience, the Raine's quizzes on Maple Island are braindead and the third job advancement quizzes require minimal effort to actually look for the answer, which usually only occurs if a guide doesn't have the answer at the ready for people to find in five seconds or so. I know the idea comes from a good place of course, but my issue with it is that it takes time and effort away from Karven doing actually important things like user control panel, autoban progress, etc. Why have the poor guy work on yet another thing to pander to all the people who are too lazy to read the rules right in front of them upon account creation? It's so silly. I think the current level of outreach to inform lazy players of the rules is reasonable. If people can't be bothered, well, that's their fault. And no one else's. Staff have better things to do in my eyes.

Do you know why users on other servers have gotten unbanned? But not on Royals? Because Royals isn't desperate to retain any players it can to bolster its playerbase like other servers are. :p

Royals has always been consistent in its upholding of the rules because it doesn't need to be two faced about its sense of justice and fair treatment. It's no exaggeration to say that hundreds, if not thousands, of people have been banned here. And Royals is just fine without them. You'll see servers that permit rulebreaking because they need those players for their players online count and for their potential donations. Do you want a server that allows rulebreaking for its own personal gain? I don't. If you do, that's totally okay of course. By all means go play them. But Royals is the number one server for a reason. And a large part of that is its playerbase and how the server is managed. Don't fix what isn't broken as the saying goes.

Feel free to explain how I was using a straw man argument. Because my whole point has been for people to stop being such lazy bums and then whining like a baby that it wasn't their fault they didn't know the rules. When yes, it was. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Every player is subject to the same rules and the same punishment if they break those rules.

He already replied to you of course, but just chiming in to say how ironic you claim hypocrisy when... there is none. Every player who breaks the rules deserves to be punished in accordance to those rules. He was, even though he was testing a glitch. Which is fair and correct of staff at the time to do. You're the one being hypocritical by saying people don't deserve to be punished for breaking a rule they didn't know. :p

Of course I'm regurgitating "shoulda read the rules." That's reality. You can try to defend your ego, blaming everyone except yourself, and avoid admitting it was your own screw up that you didn't know the rules all you want. It's no one else's fault but your own and seeing and accepting that is part of being an adult. Doesn't matter if anyone breaks the rules by accident. They still must face and deal with the consequences of their actions. Doesn't matter if they're a staff member. If they're an old player. If they're a new player. Or even if everyone actually believes the person was innocent. Rules are rules and Royals has grown to where it is now in part due to that strict moral adherence to rule enforcement. Learn from your own screw up and move forward. Good luck.

Tect likes this.
  18. Dave Deviluke

Dave Deviluke Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Islander
    Level:
    Guild:
    Shroomies
    Yea I agree with that, I also respect the Staff's effort to display the T&C upon logging in the account for the first time
    But of course, who has the time to read it ~f4

T&C.jpg

Tect, ginwolf and CerealnOats like this.
  19. Dimitri

Dimitri Saint of Horses

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Demiosa
    Level:
    18x
    Guild:
    UNITREE(D)
    I agree Tim is a criminal

NMNA, Johnny, Tentomon and 4 others like this.