My thoughts on Balloon PQ

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Shiratsuyu, Jul 20, 2020.

?

Do you like Balloon PQ?

1. Yes, I like the PQ the way it is

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  2. No, I don't like the PQ at all

19 vote(s)
    47.5%
  3. Kinda like it, just needs some improvements

20 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Shiratsuyu

Shiratsuyu Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Shiratsuyu
    Level:
    Guild:
    Kemono
    I have played BPQ a total of at least 10 times (getting puzzle piece on 4 character, some of them needing at least 2 attempts) and a couple runs after getting pieces as well for candles, but I've come to a point where I don't want to participate in this PQ any longer, because quite frankly, it pisses me off how its designed. I think during these 10+ runs, I have lost one time fairly, because both teams got same amount of ranged mates and drops were fair too. They were just slightly better than us. Other times I lost or won based on complete randomness and luck.

I have lost/won BPQ because:

My team/other team are turned into cakes first and we/they keep picking up cake from mobs extending the timer indefinitely
    My team/other team gets cake from mobs constantly while other team gets almost none
    One team gets 2 ranged while other gets one

My team/other team have afk players (this is not the fault of the designer, though)

RNG is not always a bad thing. RNG adds an element of surprise, which is important to keep games interesting. Maple as a whole is heavily RNG based. Since Royals do not use RNG to sell "pay 2 win" microtransactions, im okay with this. However, RNG should in my opinion not be present in a PvP match where something is at stake. If BPQ was "just for fun" and both teams got puzzle piece afterwards, it would be different, but that aint the case here. I have friends that needed nearly 10 runs to get the puzzle piece because luck was not on their side, and even when it were, someone else took the piece.

However, you could argue that if BPQ was about skills, then you may always lose/win because you go up against a team that have way more/less skills than you, but there are ways around it, like getting teamed up with/against people with the same amount of wins as you, like in Halloween gauntlet.

Things I would like to see:

1: Either decrease time you are caked, or alternatively make you temporarily immune to get caked again during this time, so you can't be caked indefinitely
    2: Make it less RNG. Im not sure how you would do this, though
    3: Maybe improved matchmaking, although I do realize this is based on how many players participate, and it did get better after latest patch I gotta admit

I would like to hear your thoughts about this. Do you like BPQ, or dislike it? What things would you like to see changed, or do you want things to stay the same way?

2. bacondagger

bacondagger Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    SuperBacons
    Level:
    Guild:
    Senpais
    You forgot one btw.

I have won/lost BPQ because:
    My team/other team has a dc'd member.

ImagineWagons and DayHime like this.
  3. ImagineWagons

ImagineWagons Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    ImagineWagon
    Level:
    Guild:
    Senpais
    I think being unable to stack cakes (collecting cakes while the enemy team is transformed) would be a massive boost to the competitiveness of the PQ. The ability to snowball transformations is just so strong in this PQ and more often then not it comes down to who gets cakes first rather than actually hitting the ballon.

RoyalCupcake and bacondagger like this.
  4. xDarkomantis

xDarkomantis Well-Known Member

Guild:
    Akatsuki
    I don't know why they even changed it to something like this. I was able to get a piece and a box last year by doing a Trade Win (after they nerfed muling to an extent). Now it's just an eyeroll to even think about doing it.

If the direction is to keep the PQ like this then fine. But at least award a piece for participating in the PQ so that I don't have to enter it again...!

bacondagger and KungLee like this.
  5. KungLee

KungLee Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Schnegge
    Level:
    Guild:
    Kappa
    I agree with OP - BPQ is - to me - after quite some runs just very frustrating and I hate it. Cause BPQ it is so randomn and luck dependent it is also most of the times not much fun. I mean, in principle it is a good idea and sometimes also fun but ... E.g. I had a few runs which were really close and also exciting. It really depended on our skill. However most runs were frustrating and sad. Of course, this only applies if you want to win, if you do not care, it is probably quite funny.

I think it is extremely bad and unfair that you only get the puzzle piece once in the winning team.

However I was surprised on one thing:
    Most people are nice and do actually really try to let you loot the puzzle if you express your desire to do so beforehand. So I was really surprised - shoutout to the community I guess :D. I would have expected much more rude behaviour with pet loot on as in APQ tbh.

MaiAh and bacondagger like this.
  6. RonJJ

RonJJ Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    RonJJ
    main thing fore me , since it is RNG and could be frustrating, is to reward players with a piece and a box after losing 5 times in a row, or something along these lines, number 5 is random, you can figure out a number,
    second thing is, make it that every 2 mobs a team kills the team gains a charge automatically, it will makes it more about who kills more mobs and not who gets more lucky which then requires some kind of strategy and skill.
    another thing is, make it that the only advantage that you get by caking the enemy is being able to hit the balloon while the enemy cant, otherwise the game is not even about hitting the balloon its about who is getting an NL on their team to get the enemy caked first into infinity, if you do this, that way people will win by actually hitting the balloon and not by just hitting the mobs forever, another note, it makes it super duper boring for the losing team, sitting there for like 5 minutes doing nothing, wanting to not give up but cant do anything about it, so in conclusion its not just about losing, its how you lose, you lose as if you lost without any competitiveness, competitive is fun and thats why for me very unfortunately saying this mode is NOT fun at all even when I win.

RoyalCupcake and KungLee like this.
  7. RonJJ

RonJJ Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    RonJJ
    also i obviously didnt mention all the problems, such as dcs, afks, and stuff like archers missing the mobs, these things cant be balanced and i understand, i am here to enjoy the game, i am not enjoying to complain, i truly hope there will be an improvement cause not just for me, for many of my friends, this event is cake only.

8. CerealnOats

CerealnOats Well-Known Member

IGN:
    xTeacup
    Personally i preferred last year's win trading over the competitive bpq.

I'm not a fan of pvp. Even though i was winning most of the matches because nl is op, i always felt bad for the losing team. I stopped doing bpq after 3 days or so.

I am aware that the feedback last year was that trading wins was boring and whatnot, hence the change this year. Can't please everyone eh ^_^'

9. ImVeryJelly

ImVeryJelly Donator

Country Flag:
    I think:

Winner gets 3 puzzle piece.
    Everyone must equip a shield that can be obtained from gaga for 100 mesos (0 selling value, no stats, expires in 1 day). If the shield is not equipped, Gaga will not let you enter the pq (or you will die at lobby). This will remove all ranged weapons and force people to use 1 handed melee equips. Of course, the only class with an advantage over others are buccaneers with their passive power guard buff.

Edit: What am I saying. Let's just do that whole event sword thing like christmas glove at snowman. Use lobby's 2 min timer for people to die to realize they forget to equip the sword.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    RonJJ, KungLee, sighpie and 1 other person like this.
  10. Lime

Lime Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    I think it's decent the way it is, but it could be better.
    After the recent update, it's much better because you have 2 melee and 1 ranged players. It's balanced in that sense and it gives people a role.

The RNG is fine, but the duration people stay caked should be lowered so that people aren't perma-caked (to be fair, this doesn't happen quite often to me)

I think if there are AFKers, they should be penalized from entering the cake, say, if they were afk for more than 30 seconds at any time during cake PQ. They can add it so that they can't enter the next cake for two hours (They can't enter the next cake but the cake afterwards).

As for the puzzle piece, i DO think it should still be awarded to the winning team (you should be able to win at least once after a few games or you pretty much suck or are super unlucky). What they should consider is automatically giving 2 candles to the winning team (the drop from the balloon), 1 surprise box and a pop-up text asking if they want the puzzle piece (like the way it is implemented from Cake Boss Daniel).

All in all, it's fine the way it is because it's supposed to be considered a fun, little mini-game for the anniversary event.

11. Yiks

Yiks Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Yiks
    Level:
    Lol it's even worse now that cake debuff drops are 100% or close to 100% of the time a mob is killed - not sure if it's an intentional or glitched change?

bacondagger likes this.