MapleRoyals on Linux

Discussion in 'Tech Zone' started by xYin, Jul 7, 2022.

1. xYin

xYin Member

IGN:
    xYin
    Guild:
    PQRS
    INTRODUCTION :
    About a month ago, I was fed-up with Windows nonsense and wanted to switch fully to linux, and since have been wanting to play Royals on linux and ditch dual-booting with Windows. After some searching I found that the guides are either too old or not working for me, so I tried to research it myself and I managed to make it work on my system. With the new update coming up today, I thought I might as well as write down how I made it work.

DISCLAMER :
    I experimented this on my laptop, with Intel core i5-3210M with Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series discrete graphics card, operating system Arch Linux kernel 5.18.2-arch1-1. I do not guarantee that it will work 100% on your system. Last but not least, I WILL NOT take any responsibility if you messed up your system with this guide.

CREDITS and REFERENCES :

PURPOSE :
    This guide aims to install and run MapleRoyals on Arch Linux with native DVXK on an Intel+AMD(graphics) system(laptop).

SYSTEM SPECS :
    • CPU : Intel core i5-3210M
    • GPU : Intel HD 3000 integrated graphics card
    • GPU : Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series mobile discrete graphics card

PROCEDURES :
    1. Install graphics drivers with open source DirectX Vulkan support
      Code:
      $ sudo pacman -S xf86-video-intel xf86-video-amdgpu mesa lib32-mesa vulkan-intel vulkan-radeon vulkan-tools vulkan-mesa-layers vulkan-icd-loader spriv-tools amdvlk vkd3d lib32-vulkan-intel lib32-vulkan-radeon lib32-vulkan-mesa-layers lib32-vulkan-icd-loader lib32-amdvlk lib32-vkd3d

2. Install the pipewire sound system
      Code:
      $ sudo pacman -S pipewire lib32-pipewire pipewire-media-session pipewire-alsa pipewire-pulse lib32-libpulse pipewire-v4l2

3. Install other dependencies
      Code:
      $ sudo pacman -S lib32-gnutls lib32-gst-plugins-base lib32-gst-plugins-good

4. Install wine and the DXVK binary, there are two methods, pick one method from the following :
      ## If not using an AUR helper :
      Code:
      $ sudo pacman -S wine wine-gecko wine-mono
      $ git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/dxvk-bin.git
      $ cd dxvk-bin
      $ makepkg -sirc

## If using an AUR helper, such as ``yay`` :
      Code:
      $ yay -S wine wine-gecko wine-mono dxvk-bin

5. Create and initialize a wine prefix named ".wine32MR" under your home directory
      Code:
      $ env WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32MR wineboot -u

6. If prompted, install mono and gecko, sometimes it does not detect the system mono and gecko installed before
    7. If wine applications are not showing easily readable fonts, link all of the system fonts so they are accessible from wine
      Code:
      $ cd ~/.wine32MR/drive_c/windows/Fonts && for i in /usr/share/fonts/**/*.{ttf,otf}; do ln -s "$i"; done

8. Setup the DXVK binary, requires the package ``dxvk-bin`` from the AUR
      Code:
      $ env WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32MR setup_dxvk install

9. Install the .exe to the wine prefix, I had the installer in my ``Downloads`` directory, so just point it to where your installer is
      Code:
      $ env WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32MR wine ~/Downloads/MapleRoyalsSetupWz-06.07.22.exe

10. IMPORTANT : Restart your computer for the graphics drivers to register with the linux kernel!!
      Code:
      $ reboot

11. Run MapleRoyals and enjoy
      # NOTE 1: Using dxvk with wine will create some additional files, you might want to change directory into the wine prefix to isolate them from your normal working directories.
      # NOTE 2: If you are using multi monitors, consider lowering the resolution to around 1024x768 or so before launching the game, to reduce the stress on your computer.
      Code:
      $ cd ~/.wine32MR/drive_c/MapleRoyals/
      $ env DRI_PRIME=1 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32MR wine MapleRoyals.exe

ADDITIONAL NOTES :
    I had been debugging this for quite some time and installed tons of extra packages related to vulkan for this to work, if the game does not work, you might want to check the installation of the following packages :
    1. aur/dxvk-bin
    2. multilib/lib32-vulkan-radeon
    3. multilib/lib32-vulkan-mesa-layers
    4. multilib/lib32-vulkan-intel
    5. multilib/lib32-vulkan-icd-loader
    6. multilib/lib32-vkd3d
    7. multilib/lib32-amdvlk
    8. community/vkd3d
    9. extra/vulkan-tools
    10. extra/vulkan-radeon
    11. extra/vulkan-mesa-layers
    12. extra/vulkan-intel
    13. extra/vulkan-icd-loader
    14. extra/spirv-tools
    15. extra/amdvlk

For users using other linux distros, I hope that this guide gives you some thought on how to make Royals work on your distro, good luck and happy mapling! ^^

aldeezy1, Novel, Colic and 5 others like this.
  2. ConscriptMR

ConscriptMR Active Member

Country Flag:
    i was able to run it but it won't run in fullscreen any advice on that?

3. xYin

xYin Member

IGN:
    xYin
    Guild:
    PQRS
    Did you tried that in-game? Or did you use a window manager to do that? In my case, the in-game option would not set the game to full screen so I had to use the window manager to make it full screen.