1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hamburg's Forum Moderator Application

Discussion in 'Staff Applications' started by Hamburg, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Hamburg

Hamburg Well-Known Member

IGN:
    SnoopGiraffe
    Which position are you applying for?:
    [ ]Game Master Intern
    [x]Forum Moderator

Personal Details:

Name
    : Hamburg.

Are you over 18
    ? : Yes.

Character Names
    :
    Heathcliff, SnoopGiraffe, Nanotech.

Do you have a Discord
    : Yes.

What time zone do you generally play in
    ?
    GMT +2.

When did you join?
    : June 2016.

What do you like most about MapleRoyals?
    : I like how there's a place in the community for everyone, a community made out of small communities. A person with any playstyle can join MapleRoyals and find fellow players who share the same playstyle and easily enjoy the experience the way he wants to.
    You want to play solo? Ironman!
    You had enough of hp washing? #NOHPWASHING
    You just want to mess around in the market and make meso? FM guilds!
    You like maple island? Become an Islander!
    You love doing quests? Share the medal with everyone!
    Of course there are a lot more guilds and mini communities focused on different approaches but these are examples that I love and stand out.
    Other than that, a newbie can run into the free market and get overwhelmed with help to join the game- meso, ilbis, support regarding to hp washing, or even directing someone to the right place to job advance, shows the massive support the community gives new players, and I love that.

What do you like least about MapleRoyals? I used to dislike the huge distance between staff and the community. Back when Charlie did his thing, it felt like the community doesn't even remotely trust the staff. What followed was a long time where no new interns were taken in and it kind of felt like the Staff lost their trust in the community aswell.
    Fortunately the situation has improved quite a bit, but on threads like hp washing there still seems to be a lot of distance between how the playerbase and staff view the game.

Which languages do you speak and how well?: Hebrew is my native language, and I am fluent in English.

What is your main focus in life?: Currently just improving my health. I'm also trying to get a part time job as a pizza cook but that shouldn't take much of my time even if I do succeed.

How much time do you think you would commit to staff responsibilities if chosen? I spend around 0.5-8 hours on forums on daily basis, depends on how active the forum is.
    I don't do social media except for memes, so whenever I am bored I just surf the forums. When I am on my computer I always have a forum tab open.

Have you ever played any of the official MapleStory(s)?: Yes.
    Which one?: GMS(I have to assume it was the Europe server)
    How long?: About a year, I stopped playing when the pirates were introduced.
    Character name: I played maple prior to learning English, so I have no idea which igns I was playing.

Have you ever been assigned a Staff position on any private server game(s)?: No.
    List the game(s):
    How long have you worked there?:
    What do your duties entail?
    Do you still work there? If no, why not?

What skills or unique qualities will you be bringing with you to the MapleRoyals team?
    -I'm a quick learner, I tend to pick up things relatively fast and if I find great interest in them, I become very motivated to improving my skills.

-Since I am more of a solo player(in game), I can have a neutral judgement on a matter. I won't have any reason to be biased towards a side, which should make it easier to deal with drama.

-I love the forums. I also feel a great need to support the community and help as much as I can. Even if Forum Moderator doesn't sound as cool as GM, I do believe it's an important role and I am willing to do whatever it takes to make the best out of it, if given the opportunity.

-I can easily adjust to work with a team or alone. I don't have a preference to either of the options.

Besides those listed above, what do you believe to be important qualities of a staff member?
    I believe it is important for a staff memeber to be connected to the community and the game.
    Being neutral and unbiased is something I highly respect.
    Looking at cases individually and assessing the situation from a technical approach rather than an emotional, is important. In most cases at least.

Why do you want to work with us?
    I'll be dead honest, I thought there would be more applications to forum moderator.
    Evan's role always seemed cool to me because it is unique. The forums are the face of both the community and the server, making it a better place is something I am interested in.
    I believe I spent more times on the forums than in-game, and not because I am bored, rather because I really like it. I figured if I am spending so much time on the forums, I might aswell offer my help to make it a better place for everyone.

Have you ever been banned in game or on the forums before?
    Never been banned in game, had a self-ban from shoutbox once. I do have 5 warning points for a comment made on the community blacklist, towards a player that attacked a guild for no reason(I was not associated to the guild, but I felt the need to defend them as he kept talking them down for unkown reasons.)

If you could change or add one rule to MapleRoyals what would that be?
    Overall, I like the T&C. I just wish people would actually read them. So many ban appeals and the staff's time could be saved. This is not the staff's fault, but even a quest with explination(like rain's quiz I had no idea it was offered, I was just looking for the quest name ) Could save the staff a lot of time.

Do you have any real life commitments or responsibilities you feel are important to you and would like to tell us about? (Work, education, relationships, etc)
    I dropped out of college(not really college but something along the lines of it) due to my health condition, currently not doing anything besides playing video games and watching anime. I might have to be eventually recruited to serve in the military but considering my health condition it is impossible for them to draft me to a position which will hinder my access to the forums. There's also that pizza cook thing I wrote above, but I am still not sure if I got the job.

If you have anything you created or worked on, please post it along with your application.

I am currently saving meso to make an anti-scam guide. I hope the final product will reduce the scams and frustration in the community. Or at least raise awareness to the possibilties of reporting said scammers.

Coordinate, Guus, GillBates and 15 others like this.