GM Intern Application

Discussion in 'Staff Applications' started by VincentOL, Sep 11, 2020.

1. VincentOL

VincentOL Active Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    IAmAQuokka
    Level:
    Guild:
    Shark
    Which position are you applying for?:
    [x]Game Master Intern
    [ ]Forum Moderator

Personal Details:
    Name: (Nickname:?) Vincent (Quokka)

Are you over 18? (yes/no): yes

Character Names: iAmAQuokka, SoSquishy, SuperSquishy, HerMickey, QuokkaShark, QuokkaSnack, Quokkas

Do you have a Discord (yes/no): yes

What time zone do you generally play in? PST

When did you join?: I started playing pre-wipe (2013?) but stopped playing around when the wipe happened. I then started playing again around the 3rd anniversary (2016?)

What do you like most about MapleRoyals?: The community (the people I've met and have gotten to know)

What do you like least about MapleRoyals? The disconnect between the player base (especially newer players) and the GMs. It feels like the player base has a preconceived notion of what GMs do (and what is expected of GMs). In my opinion, GMs are people too, and it’s amazing that they volunteer their time and effort to make the server better.

Which languages do you speak and how well?: English (fluent), Khmer (conversational)

What is your main focus in life?: My relationships (significant other, friends, family)

How much time do you think you would commit to staff responsibilities if chosen? 2-3 hrs on weekdays

Have you ever played any of the official MapleStory(s)?: yes
    Which one?: MapleStory (North America)
    How long?: 3 years (2003-2006)
    Character name: vincetheif

Have you ever been assigned a Staff position on any private server game(s)?: Yes
    List the game(s): SunshineMS (Game Master), ForestStory/TendraMS (Head GM)
    How long have you worked there?: 3 months / 1.5 years respectively
    Proof: Here's a screenshot from the official ForestStory facebook:

I am VincentOL (same as my forum name) and I am sitting next to the server's owner.

Here's another screenshot of me in the ForestStaff guild once the server got more established:

What do your duties entail? Monitoring gameplay (for hackers/cheaters), moderating the forums, training new GM hires, promoting discussions and taking feedback (from both the players and other GMs) that can improve the servers, discussed future directions of the servers with admins/devs, kept an open client to help out when needed
    Do you still work there? If no, why not? No, both servers were shut down

What skills or unique qualities will you be bringing with you to the MapleRoyals team?
    I’m a firm believer of leading by example. I’m also very patient and approach things logically. This helps me in handling arguments.

Besides those listed above, what do you believe to be important qualities of a staff member?
    Staff members should be firm and stand up for what they believe in. They should be able to voice their opinions respectfully at all times. They should be able to differentiate between what they want, what the players want, and what is possible while balancing all of these to the best of their abilities. They should view themselves as volunteers for the players, a mindset that is more along the lines of “by the people, for the people”. They should have integrity. And above all else, staff members should understand that all of their actions will influence others, and strive to always put their best selves forward.

Why do you want to work with us?
    Recently, the demand for GM help has increased. I understand that GMs are working hard to take care of the community’s needs, and I would like to help contribute to that. I have really enjoyed my time here on Royals (as mentioned above, I really love the people I've met on this server). I want to give back and help with what I can.

Have you ever been banned in game or on the forums before? No

If you could change or add one rule to MapleRoyals what would that be? I think the current rules are fine as they are.

Do you have any real life commitments or responsibilities you feel are important to you and would like to tell us about? (Work, education, relationships, etc)
    My relationship with my girlfriend. I also work full time as a software engineer.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Ruruchi likes this.