1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting back into the game after 10+ years. Over thinking what class to play

Discussion in 'Help & Advice' started by Snicklex, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Snicklex

Snicklex Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    ibroughtbud
    Hey all! I'm getting back into the game after a long time and I'm really lost on what class to play. I started a NL and bishop, both around lvl 20 atm, and after reading some threads on the forums I can't decide what I truly want to do.

I came back to MS because I was nostalgic playing NL again. I just forgot how much money and planning is needed to be useful. Should I just stick it out and take the effort needed to make that my main, or should I roll with my bishop, or something else first?

I'm really wanting to enjoy the game and not have to worry about all the funding bits right from the gate, but I have no clue really what I'm doing and how to prepare. And I don't want to spend time one class just to give up on it 80 levels later once I can't fund myself the correct gear.

Also anyone out there with a guild that's helpful with new players please let me know, I'd love to join a guild to make partying up easier

2. Madori

Madori Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    SeverusSnape
    Level:
    17x
    Guild:
    Degeneracy
    If your end goal is to fund your nl you are better off getting two accounts, one for a hs mule and the other for a fp mage. Fp’s are much cheaper than bishops. This server can multi client :)
    Always keep your mages and mules separate from your attackers

3. Snicklex

Snicklex Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    ibroughtbud
    Does the benefit of having multiple accounts and multiclient just so I don't need to rely on parties or finding some one for HS? Just wanting to play casually and I feel like doing all that and having 3 characters is giving me to much to focus on. But if it's going to make that big of a difference I will.

4. ilyssia

ilyssia Donator

You don't need much funding to play casually in this server, you be generally be accepted in most public Zakum, Krexel, Dojo and Cwkpq runs as long as you follow the standard Night Lord build. As getting equipment is for a low - lower mid-tier is reasonably priced for a Night Lord. However, if you see yourself playing this server for a longer term and want to challenge to tougher bosses like Horntail and Shaolin, I recommend you to follow Madori's advice, of creating a high-level mage with another HS mule, as mages are the best farmers and money maker in the game due to their large AoE skills, making getting better gear and HP washing much more easier.

Regarding your concern of having too many classes, is base on your personal preference, for me, I do get bored of limiting myself to one or two classes, so I have created at least 6 different classes, is not like I focus all 6 together, I just play whether playstyle I feel like playing at the moment. Besides, I believe having multiple accounts outweigh the cons, you be able to self-train faster having Holy Symbol from a Priest/Bishop and Sharp Eye from an archer, increase storage and increase your money-making opportunities. (Some seasonal events have character cool down, if your character is on cooldown, you can just switch account and pick another character ~)

5. Madori

Madori Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    SeverusSnape
    Level:
    17x
    Guild:
    Degeneracy
    I’ll be honest with you, I started off as a casual too. Then I was kicking myself in the ass for putting my bs on my main attackers account lol
    You can play however you want to :)

if you do decide to make an extra couple accounts the benefit is leeching yourself for higher levels, and NL’s pair extremely well with a SE (sharp eyes) mule. You can just bloodwash the bowmaster mule (put all of your AP into HP) SE maxed out is around level 130 and if you bloodwash it then you’d only have to worry about running out of pots for auto hp lol

6. Snicklex

Snicklex Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    ibroughtbud
    Thanks for the advice guys! I'll most likely take your advice and make a couple extra accounts and party them together to get them leveled up without doing it individually.

I did want to play casually but I guess at some point I want to be able to do the bigger bosses too. Just don't have much time to game since I work 6 days a week but I'll take my time and do as much as I can!

7. YYUMMMY

YYUMMMY Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    YYUMMMY
    Level:
    Guild:
    Rogue
    U dont need a bitchshop or a fap mage i Have one toon: outlaw level 112 and i can play the game fine. sell one fame every day and then find a pro party to hunt down raid bosses like zakem. rember its a team game so u do not need to be strong. get door spot in Fm and sell zakem h elmets then repeat.

Rinn, Kermes, Styg1an and 3 others like this.
  8. Kermes

Kermes Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Kermes
    Level:
    Guild:
    [N]akama
    Hi! I'm going to try and step into your shoes and think of my time when I was starting out as a casual/new player.

All the above advice is sound technically and they're certainly very efficient ways to fund your nl/whichever character you wish to play if you know your goals, and wish to optimise your gameplay to the maximum extent.

If I were you, I would just play whichever character you want to try (make multiple chars if you wish! and play a non-leeching char to understand how the game works), play them normally and see which you like.

At the same time, make a priest/bishop (on a separate account from your main) to supplement your current/future characters as a bishop will always be useful in the future for (1) selling leech and earning mesos; (2) self-leeching your future character (it can even be the same char, like a nl- which is what I did myself); and (3) you can go for virtually all bosses easily with a bishop without needing to wash (although, do read Jooon's guide on how to be a good bishop to optimise ur bish so that it can go far even when you re-make your chars).

Once you start to get a feel of what you like, start bossing on that character more (Zak, Krex, Scara/Targa, CWK, Pap, certain Neo Tokyo bosses, maybe even HT) and feel free to join a guild to be with many like-minded people (often ppl in the same situation as you who are exploring the game and just want to have fun, and wanna know more about washing, scrolling gears, merching, etc.) and you'll start to really enjoy the game a little more.

You'll find that once you've played the game normally (and non-painfully as you won't be leeching so it'll be more enjoyable), you might decide to remake a character to experience all the contents of the game (Shao, Toad, BG/The Boss, being safe in HT, Auf Haven): this will involve leeching, hp and mp washing, making mules- all very painful and time-consuming embarkments to advance and optimise your gameplay. But at this point, you will no longer to be a casual player and will start to be a veteran.

Take this game slowly, really try and enjoy the game before delving into the more complicated, technical intricacies and I guarantee you'll be a long-lasting player and it won't feel like such a daunting or perhaps even toxic environment as how it might feel now. In the meantime, vote everyday and accumulate NX as well as try and sell leech (whether on your future bishop or perhaps an arch mage which as the others have mentioned are more efficient at earning mesos, thus funding your future char).

If there're three takeaways, it's (1) join a guild and grow with them, (2) don't be daunted by the pressure to make a perfect character, and (3) just enjoy the game (that's why we're all here anyway)!

If there's any specific questions you have, feel free to ask them here or pm me!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    KungLee likes this.
  9. Snicklex

Snicklex Member

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    ibroughtbud

Thanks for your input! I probably will stick it out with my NL being my main for the moment. Just got to spend more time on hunting for the items I want or grinding foe ones to sell so I can buy them. Reading the guide for NL some one linked previously has helped me figure out what I'd like to do starting out. NL really does seem like my class of choice atm. And work on my way to getting to a point where I'll want to be more involved in the game

10. YYUMMMY

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    YYUMMMY
    Level:
    Guild:
    Rogue

Do i hafta HP wash? im a 3rd job gunner soon to be a corsaire. I got many peaple tellin me to HP wash if i want to hornytail but I do not wish to slay dragons as my ultimate goal on mapleroyals. Im happy raiding down mafia boss Zakem with a friendly guild and selling zakem helmets Tbh with U.

I dont remmeber my current HP but im level 112 and my hp is around 22k i think (will have to double check). hjow mach does zakem hit and what potions do you bring into the tunnel?

also . are ur guild recurring anyone? I was recently kicked out of Cloudy and would like to join a new guild. The Cloudy raid boss said i bring too meny friends into her channel 9 FM and kicked me. lols once i redempt myself i might go Back in if she lets me. One day.

11. YYUMMMY

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    YYUMMMY
    Level:
    Guild:
    Rogue
    btw i am NOT a noob / new player so i dont need to kno stuff like how many potions i need to bring in. just which type of potions is all i need to know. i will do the mathemacations myself.

12. Kermes

Kermes Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    Kermes
    Level:
    Guild:
    [N]akama
    If you're unwashed and have 22k hp then I think you'll be fine lol (even if you want to "hornytail" and "slay dragons")

To answer your questions:

(1) If you really do have 22k hp, Zak should be like a snail to you

(2) Any potion over 3.2k hp is fine for ranged attackers like sairs, 8.7+k hp for melees (need confirmation on melees); for sairs, use cheese

(3) We're currently not recruiting, although if and when we do, you can apply through an application (though we're mainly SEA-based)

(4) I'm sure MzBunny has her reasons, good luck to you! (you might want to take off the guild tag on the forums though)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  13. YYUMMMY

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    YYUMMMY
    Level:
    Guild:
    Rogue
    I Meant to say horntail lol. i just checked online i think it was 2.2k hp actaully. How do you know mzbunny aka sugarcheeks ?

14. Dave Deviluke

Dave Deviluke Donator

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    CrimsonClaw
    Level:
    Guild:
    Shroomies
    This thread is not the place to discuss your previous guild affairs

Please kindly open a new thread if you wish to settle it openly, or discuss in PM

15. YYUMMMY

Country Flag:
    IGN:
    YYUMMMY
    Level:
    Guild:
    Rogue
    oh sorry i wil log into scania-1 and disgust with mzbunny right now!